The Alternative Provision, Attendance and Independent School Service provides a statutory function with regard to attendance, children missing from education, elective home education and ensuring children and young people in Birmingham are in receipt of a suitable education.
Schools and academies and other educational establishments can purchase support, advice and guidance and access a range of training courses from the team. The traded offer includes support with regard to the following:
• Fast-Track Attendance Training – this training session will ensure all staff, who have responsibility with regard to attendance, are aware of the legal process and can implement procedures in order to tackle ongoing unauthorised absence.
• GRT Support - assistance with initial assessment and induction for all Gypsy, Roma and Irish pupils and where necessary offer ongoing specialist support to meet their needs and supporting schools with creation of appropriate action plan development. Sharing effective practice to improve attendance, promote improved outcomes and identify and address barriers to engagement.
• ESOL Training – support can be provided with Roma, Asylum Seeker/Refugee or recently arrived pupils from abroad.
• Quality Assurance of Alternative Provision – officers within the Service have a broad knowledge of alternative
education providers in the city and the range of courses, qualifications,
activities and opportunities available to provide support for pupils who
require support or who are disconnected from mainstream education. Members of
the team can provide advice on the quality assurance of any AP your
school/academy is engaging or wishes to engage. Clear guidance for schools and
other commissioners of alternative provision can be found on the ‘Communications’
page of this web site.
• Education Placement Mentors – additional support can be provided to young people, on roll, at your school who may be disconnected/disengaged and/or school age parents or young people who may be at risk. The mentors will support your school by helping to remove barriers to learning and will assist in creating individual learning plans and then support, monitor and evaluate pupil progress. Resulting in a positive transition to future learning, training, or employment opportunities.